Research in forensic pathology
Our research covers the following four main areas.
Research on deceased. The research is based on forensic autopsies and we examine different types of death. The main purpose of the research is to prevent:
- sudden cardiac arrest
- early and sudden death among the mentally ill (SURVIVE - let the dead help the living)
- abuse-related deaths.
Research on the living. We focus on risk assessments and lesion types as well as mapping of lesion patterns. The research covers, amongst others:
- Standardisation and alignment of risk of life danger assessments for the purpose of contributing to law and order.
- Gathering of knowledge in connection with systematic forensic examinations of children subjected to physical abuse (‘Systematic Forensic Screening in “Børnehus Hovedstaden.”)
- Examination and expansion of already existing knowledge concerning age assessment of the living to establish updated reference values and to develop new, valid methods.
Research in imaging diagnostics. This research is based on, among other things, CT and MRI scans performed prior to autopsies:
- Comparison of diagnostics based on different scanning methods before and after death.
- The Walking Dead project, where we create virtual 3D models of victim and perpetrator in order to reconstruct the course of events.
- Development of a new method for assessing skull fractures, with imaging data forming the basis for the development of a skull model for biomechanical analysis.
- Development of new methods for age assessement using MRI.
- Validation of cardiac MRI scans for structural, cardiovascular and muscular disorders.
Research on forensic odontology. Focus areas are age assessement of the living. The project includes the following:
- Use of CT X-ray (computer tomography) for dental examinations of the deceased.
- Development of reference material to assist in the assessment of tooth development during childhood.
Professor Jytte Banner is our Head of Section. The research management also includes Deputy Chief Medical Examiner Christina Jacobsen.
|Bugge, Anne Birgitte Dyhre||Medical Specialist, Forensic||+4535328152|
|Gheorghe, Alexandra Gabriella||Doctor|
|Hansen, Carl Johann||PhD Fellow||+4561715300|
|Holm, Pernille Heimdal||PhD Fellow||+4535332198|
|Jacobsen, Christina||Associate Professor||+4535326168|
|Jensen, Niels Dyrgaard||Forensic Odontologist||+4535337161|
|Justesen, Daniella||PhD Fellow||+4535324045|
|Jørkov, Marie Louise Schjellerup||Associate Professor||+4535327229|
|Khatam-Lashgari, Apameh||Research Assistant|
|Kristensen, Anders Raastrup||Associate Professor||+4525363896|
|Larsen, Sara||Special Consultant||+4535326190|
|Munkholm, Julie Hjortshøj||Medical Specialist, Forensic||+4535326169|
|Olsen, Kristine Boisen||Medical Specialist, Forensic||+4535337145|
|Palsøe, Marie Kroman||PhD Fellow||+4535333154|
|Ruiz Oropeza, Athamaica||Doctor||+4535335698|
|Villa, Chiara||Associate Professor - Promotion Programme||+4535337160|
|Ylijoki-Sørensen, Seija||Consultant Doctor||+4535337286|